Yield: 4 people
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 1 bottle Lawry’s Baja Chipotle 30 minute marinade or Mesquite
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Southwest Seasoning or chili powder
- 1 (8-oz) package Velveeta, diced
- 1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Start by marinating the chicken: Pour Baja Chipotle Marinade over the chicken and place it in the refrigerator. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, or for more flavor, marinate it overnight.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the orzo: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until it becomes lightly browned.
- Stir in Southwestern Seasoning or chili powder, tomato paste, and chicken broth into the saucepan with the orzo. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff the orzo with a fork once it’s cooked.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine diced tomatoes and green chiles (undrained) with Velveeta cheese. Heat the mixture in the microwave on HIGH in 30-second intervals until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are well combined.
- Once the chicken has finished marinating, grill it until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius). Ensure it is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in the center.
- To assemble the Queso Smothered Chicken dish, place about ¼ of the orzo on a plate. Top it with the grilled chicken.
- Pour 3-4 tablespoons of the cheese dip over the chicken and orzo, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Serve the Queso Smothered Chicken immediately and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors from the marinated chicken, flavorful orzo, and cheesy dip.