Turtle Bars are a dessert inspired by Turtle candies. They consist of layers: a buttery crust, crunchy pecans, a caramel layer, and a smooth chocolate topping. These layers create a mix of textures and flavors, resembling the classic candies. After baking and cooling, the bars are cut into squares for serving.
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan pieces
For the Caramel Layer:
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
For the Topping:
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
Creating the Crust:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, flour, and brown sugar. Use a pastry blender or a fork to blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the crumbly mixture firmly into an ungreased 9″ x 13″ pan to form an even crust.
- Sprinkle the pecan pieces evenly over the crust.
Preparing the Caramel Layer:
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Stir continuously until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Carefully pour the caramel evenly over the crust and pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Adding the Topping:
- Once the crust is baked, remove the pan from the oven.
- Sprinkle the milk chocolate chips over the hot crust. Let them sit for about 5 minutes to soften and melt.
- Use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate chips evenly over the surface of the bars.
Cooling and Serving:
- Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan.
- Once cooled, slice the bars into your desired portion sizes using a sharp knife.
- Serve and enjoy these delectable Turtle Bars!
Note: Store any leftover bars in an airtight container to keep them fresh.