Cream puffs are delightful pastries that consist of a light and airy choux pastry shell filled with a creamy and luscious filling. They are a classic French dessert that has gained popularity worldwide due to their delicious taste and elegant appearance. The choux pastry used to make cream puffs is unique as it is cooked on the stovetop before being baked, resulting in a crisp outer shell with a hollow center ready to be filled with various sweet or savory fillings.
How should I serve the Delicious Famous Cream Puffs?
- Once you have baked and filled your famous cream puffs, they are ready to be served and enjoyed. There are several ways to present these delectable treats to your guests or enjoy them on your own. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Platter: Arrange the cream puffs on a platter, showcasing their golden brown shells and tempting fillings. This presentation is perfect for parties and gatherings, allowing guests to help themselves to these delightful treats.
- Tower or Croquembouche: For a more impressive display, you can assemble the cream puffs into a tower or croquembouche. Dip the bottoms of the cream puffs in caramel or melted chocolate to help them stick together, and carefully stack them into a pyramid shape. Drizzle caramel or chocolate over the top for an elegant finish. This towering dessert is a showstopper at weddings and special occasions.
- Individual Servings: Serve each cream puff on a dessert plate, dusted with powdered sugar for an added touch of elegance. Pair them with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, or a sprinkle of fresh berries for a delightful and visually appealing presentation.
Cream puffs are best enjoyed when they are fresh and crisp, but if you have leftovers or need to prepare them in advance, proper storage is essential to maintain their texture and flavor. Here are some tips on
how to store your delicious famous cream puffs:
- Room Temperature: If you plan to consume the cream puffs within a few hours, you can store them at room temperature. Place them in an airtight container or cover them loosely with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. However, note that the pastry may lose some of its crispness over time.
- Refrigeration: If you need to store the cream puffs for a longer period, such as overnight, it is best to refrigerate them. Place them in an airtight container to prevent them from absorbing any odors in the refrigerator. However, refrigeration may cause the pastry shell to soften slightly. It is recommended to fill the cream puffs with the filling just before serving to maintain their texture.
- Freezing: Cream puffs can also be frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze them, place the unfilled cream puffs on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until firm. Once firm, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag, separating each layer with parchment paper. Frozen cream puffs can be stored for up to 2-3 months. To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and let them come to room temperature before filling and serving.
Remember, while storing cream puffs is an option, they are at their prime when enjoyed fresh. The crisp pastry and creamy filling create a delightful contrast that is best experienced shortly after preparation. So, indulge in the deliciousness of your famous cream puffs as soon as possible for the ultimate culinary delight.
Wow Mom’s Famous Cream Puffs
1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
- Mom’s Famous Filling:
1 pint heavy cream
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding
1/3 cup milk
- In a saucepan, bring the butter, water, and vanilla to a boil.
- Add the flour to the boiling mixture and stir constantly until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pot.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheets, spacing them apart.
- Bake the cream puffs at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for about 25-30 minutes, or until they are golden brown and puffed up. Let them cool completely.
- While the cream puffs are cooling, prepare the filling. In a mixer, beat the heavy cream, instant vanilla pudding powder, and milk until the mixture thickens and reaches a whipped cream consistency.
- Slice the cooled cream puffs in half horizontally.
- Pipe or scoop the prepared Mom’s filling into the bottom half of each cream puff.
- Place the top half of each cream puff back on.
- Dust the cream puffs with powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy Mom’s Famous Cream Puffs!