- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
FOR THE SPINACH SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
FOR THE RICOTTA SAUCE:
- 15 oz ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While noodles cook, make the spinach sauce:
- In a large saucepan or pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add onions and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in butter. Once melted, whisk in flour. Continue whisking until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add chicken broth, followed by heavy cream. Whisk until smooth and let simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in garlic and chopped spinach and remove from heat.
- Next, make the ricotta sauce:
- In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta, egg, parsley, parmesan cheese, and 2 cups of the mozzarella.
- Spoon some of the spinach sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Line with 3 noodles. Top with 1/2 of the ricotta sauce, 1/2 of the shredded chicken, then top with 1/3 of the spinach sauce.
- Add 3 more noodles, then the remaining ricotta sauce, remaining chicken, and another 1/3 of the spinach sauce.
- Add remaining 3 noodles, remaining spinach sauce, then top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with foil, using toothpicks to keep foil from resting on cheese if needed, and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and broil 2-3 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!