- 1 & 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp gel red food colouring
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
How To Make Red Velvet Cake
1. In a large bowl mix sugar and oil . Then add vanilla and eggs . Mix well.
2. Add buttermilk . Mix , then add red food colouring. Mix .
Sift in flour , bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and salt .Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
3. Add white vinegar then gently mix .
Line a square cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with butter or oil .Pour the batter (mixture).
I used 8 inch square baking pan.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 Degrees Celsius for 50 minutes or until well baked( depending on your oven).
5. Let the cake cool off completely before you frost it.
6. After cooling off trim the top part of the cake and cut off the edges as well .Cut it into half then cut off those halves into two so that you can have 4 layers.
7. Frost the cake with the whipped cream. Then sprinkle some crumbles on top for the final look .( Make the crumbs using the top part of the cake you cut off or the edges you cut off ).
The making of red velvet cake is scientific . One mistake everything can go wrong . DO NOT substitute or leave out any ingredient. Use the ones listed above . Yes , you do need both buttermilk and vinegar when making red velvet cake .
FOR THE CREAM
- 1/2 cup cold heavy or whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Add all 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Beat until you get a thick consistency.
Note : Make sure the heavy or whipping cream is extremely cold .