- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
How To Make Italian Christmas Cookies
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- Step 2In a medium bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and ricotta cheese. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the cheese mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Step 3Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 4In a medium bowl, cream together the remaining butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in vanilla and milk gradually until a spreadable consistency is reached. Frost cooled cookies.