Homemade Lasagna is a classic that every cook should have in their rotation. Tender sheets of pasta, a cheese filling, and a rich meaty tomato sauce make the perfect dish!
While there are a few steps to this recipe, it’s easy to make and has huge flavor. This dish can be made ahead of time and freezes well either before or after baking!
How to Make Lasagna
Homemade lasagna may have a few steps, but each step is easy – and I assure you it’s worth the time; the perfect Italian meal!
The ingredients in this recipe are all things you know and it’s not difficult at all! All you’ll need for this easy lasagna recipe is one pan, one bowl, and a 9×13 baking dish!
A quick overview of the layers:
Cheese Filling Mix the ricotta and cheeses (per recipe below) with an egg in a bowl, and set aside. No ricotta? No problem, cottage cheese works just fine in this recipe!
Meat Sauce Brown the onion, garlic, and meat in a pot on the stovetop. Add the pasta sauce and tomato paste & simmer a few minutes.
Layer Together Layer the meat sauce and cheese mixture with noodles and bake until bubbling
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 28 Ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounce ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until tender and add the ground beef and sausage. Cook and crumble until brown and cooked throughout. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, and basil. Let simmer on low heat.
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In medium sized bowl add the ricotta cheese, parmesan, and egg. Mix until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 inch pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- To make the lasagna start by spreading 1 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange the noodles in a single layer over the meat sauce. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese, on top of the noodles followed by shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers and top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake and additional 20-25 minutes or until it is heated throughout and cheese is bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.