Crescent roll cheese danishes are a popular and delicious pastry that combines flaky crescent roll dough with a creamy and sweet cream cheese filling. They are typically made by rolling out pre-made crescent roll dough, cutting it into slices, and then filling each slice with a mixture of cream cheese, sugar, and other flavorings like vanilla or lemon juice. The edges of the dough are often pinched or folded to create a well to hold the filling. After baking in the oven until golden brown, the danishes are topped with a simple glaze made from powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
TIPS FOR MAKING CRESCENT ROLL CHEESE DANISHES:
Making homemade crescent roll cheese danishes is a delicious and relatively easy baking project. Here are some helpful tips to ensure your danishes turn out perfect every time:
- Use quality ingredients: Since this recipe relies on simple ingredients, it’s important to use high-quality cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Room temperature cream cheese: Make sure your cream cheese is softened to room temperature before mixing it with the other ingredients. This will ensure a smooth and creamy filling.
- Building an edge: When slicing the crescent roll dough, use a sharp knife to cut thick slices. Then, use your fingers to create a slight upraised edge on each slice. This will help hold the filling in place while baking.
- Proper glazing technique: When drizzling the glaze over the cheese danishes, use a spoon or a piping bag to achieve an even and decorative effect. You can also sprinkle some additional toppings like chopped nuts or cinnamon for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Customize with toppings: While the recipe suggests topping the danishes with fruit or enjoying them plain, feel free to get creative with your toppings. Fresh berries, sliced peaches, or even a dollop of homemade jam can take these danishes to the next level.
HOW SHOULD I STORE LEFTOVER CREAM CHEESE DANISHES?
If you happen to have any leftover cheese danishes, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will typically stay fresh for up to 3-4 days. When ready to enjoy, you can reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds or in a preheated oven at a low temperature until warmed through.
CAN I FREEZE THESE CREAM CHEESE DANISHES?
Yes, you can freeze these cream cheese danishes for later enjoyment. After baking and cooling them completely, wrap each danish individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and let them come to room temperature or reheat them in the oven at a low temperature.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS CREAM CHEESE DANISH RECIPE?
While the classic cream cheese danish is delightful on its own, you can experiment with different flavors and fillings to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few variations you can try:
- Fruit-filled danishes: Add a spoonful of your favorite fruit preserves or pie filling on top of the cream cheese filling before baking. Raspberry, blueberry, or cherry fillings work particularly well.
- Nutty delights: Sprinkle some chopped nuts, such as pecans or almonds, on top of the cream cheese filling for added crunch and flavor.
- Chocolate lovers: For a decadent twist, add a sprinkle of chocolate chips or drizzle some melted chocolate over the glazed danishes.
- Citrus zest: Enhance the flavor profile by adding a hint of citrus zest, such as lemon or orange, to the cream cheese filling or the glaze.
Can I use Puff Pastry?
While this recipe specifically calls for crescent roll dough, you can certainly experiment with puff pastry as a substitution. Puff pastry will give your cheese danishes a flakier and more delicate texture. Keep in mind that the baking time may vary, so it’s important to monitor them closely to ensure they don’t become overly browned.
Crescent Cheese Danishes
These cheese danishes made with crescent roll dough are a delightful treat for breakfast, brunch, or as a sweet indulgence any time of the day. Enjoy their flaky pastry, creamy filling, and the touch of sweetness from the glaze. Whether you prefer them plain or adorned with your favorite fruits, these danishes are sure to please your taste buds and satisfy your cravings.
– 2 tubes of prepared crescent roll dough
– 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
– 1 teaspoon lemon juice
– 1/4 cup light brown sugar
– 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Glaze:
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
– 4 teaspoons milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Open the tubes of crescent roll dough but do not unroll them. Keep them as intact rectangles.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the crescent roll dough into thick slices of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Make sure not to unroll the dough.
- Place each slice onto the prepared baking sheet, and using your fingers, gently build a slight raised edge on the dough to hold the filling.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter with the light brown sugar until well combined.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the butter mixture onto each slice of dough.
- Spoon even amounts of the cream cheese filling onto each slice, within the raised edges.
- Bake the danishes in the preheated oven for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they turn slightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in another small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Once the danishes are baked, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Drizzle the glaze over each cheese danish using a spoon or a piping bag.
- For added flavor and presentation, you can top the danishes with your choice of fruit or enjoy them as they are.
- Serve the cheese danishes warm or at room temperature and savor their deliciousness!