- Unsalted butter, softened, as needed
- 1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Position a rack in your oven 6 inches from the broiler and heat broiler on high.
- Grease a shallow 9×13-inch baking dish or rimmed sheet pan with softened butter.
- Season zucchini with salt and pepper and arrange on baking pan. Broil just until squash is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- While squash bakes, whisk together cream, thyme, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and flour in a small bowl. Pour mixture evenly over squash, then top with Gruyere cheese and panko breadcrumbs.
- Return to oven and broil until golden brown and bubbly, 4-5 minutes. Enjoy!