- 2 cups all-purpose flour , packed (if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (leave out if using self-rising flour)
- ½ tsp salt (leave out if using self-rising flour)
- ½ cup butter, salted, cut in small pieces (if using unsalted, add ¼ tsp more salt than above)
- 1 cup milk (regular or buttermilk)
How To Make Butter Biscuits
Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add butter in smallish pieces.
With your hands (or a pastry blender), combine flour mixture and butter until butter is pea sized and mixture is crumbly.
Pour in milk and combine with a wooden spoon until well incorporated, taking care not to over mix.
Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out dough to about ¾ inch thick.
Cut out biscuits with biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Add each to ungreased cookie sheet or iron skillet. Make sure that biscuits touch for higher rise during baking.
Bake for 10 minutes or until browned.