- 1 lb beef chuck roast, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the beef over medium-high heat. Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the barley, beef broth, water, carrots, celery, peas, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- Add the browned beef back into the pot and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the beef is cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot and enjoy!