- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Oil for deep-fat frying.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
How To Make Beef and Cheese Chimichanga
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic and cumin.
Spoon about 1/3 cup of beef mixture off-center on each tortilla. Fold edge nearest filling up and over to cover. Fold in both sides and roll up. Fasten with toothpicks. In a large saucepan, combine the chilies, peppers and remaining tomato sauce; heat through.
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry the chimichangas for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with sauce
Leave a Reply